CITY OF FIRCREST REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATION PACKET
CITY PROSECUTOR SERVICES
Proposal Due Date: 10/28/2022
The purpose of this Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is to solicit and select a qualified individual or firm to serve as the City prosecutor on a contractual basis.
- Description of your law firm/private attorney practice (including professional qualifications of individuals who will provide services).
- Understanding of the type and level of services required, and the capability of providing such services, including an explanation of how these services will best meet the City’s needs.
- The compensation structure for proposed
- A list of at least three references regarding the reputation and qualifications of the law firm/private
- Disclosure of any pending litigation or judgments rendered against the law firm/private attorney in any matter relating to professional activities of the firm, including any pending complaints to the Washington State Bar Association.
SCOPE OF WORK: CITY PROSECUTOR
City Prosecutor services fall into four categories: a) criminal prosecution in municipal court; b) traffic infractions; c) Animal Control issues; and d) support of code enforcement activities, including administrative and court hearings. The attorney selected as prosecutor will be responsible for all aspects of prosecution in the Fircrest and Ruston Municipal Courts, Animal Control issues, and support of the Code Enforcement program, including:
- Making filing decisions on criminal cases, with input from City
- Advising City police on the conduct of investigations, trial preparation, seizures, and related
- Interviewing witnesses and victims of
- Advising victims regarding their rights and responsibilities.
- Representing the City at arraignments, pretrial hearings, bench and jury trials, and review hearings and appeals in connection with criminal misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases and certain contested infraction matters, and traffic infractions upon
- Making appropriate sentencing recommendations and decisions to the
- Preparing and presenting legal memoranda, subpoenas, jury instructions, and other related
- Providing legal research, training, and assistance to City police in criminal matters, including statutory interpretation, enforcement issues, and case
- Advising Code Enforcement on the interpretation and applicability of code provisions, the conduct of investigations, civil infraction preparation, nuisance abatement, and related matters.
- Representing the City at administrative and court hearings on code enforcement-related civil infractions and related matters.
- Preparing and presenting legal memoranda regarding code enforcement and other related materials.
- Creating and maintaining appropriate files.
SPECIFICATIONS: CITY PROSECUTOR
- Currently, the Municipal Court is in session every Wednesday starting at 8:00 am, and the first, third, and fifth Thursday starting 8:00 am. Detailed information indicating the volume and nature of the City’s prosecutions can be found at http://www.courts.wa.gov/caseload/. (data is located under the Courts of Limited Jurisdiction link.)
- The City Prosecutor must be available by phone, cell phone, and e-mail.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: CITY PROSECUTOR
- Each attorney in the proposed team must possess a Juris Doctorate and have graduated from a law school accredited by the American Bar
- Each attorney in the proposed team must be a member in good standing of the Washington State Bar
- The proposed designated City Prosecutor should have a minimum of five years’ experience in prosecution and code enforcement support.
The City anticipates an initial one-year contract, with options for extensions to be negotiated.
All proposals will be reviewed and screened by the City. Proposals will be evaluated by considering the proposer’s quality of experience, the strength of the approach described in the proposal, and the cost to the City. Finalists will be invited for interviews, after which the City Manager intends to make an appointment(s), subject to the confirmation of the City Council.
INSTRUCTIONS TO REPLY TO THIS REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
To reply to this RFQ, please submit a copy of the proposal in one packet to:
Colleen Corcoran, City Manager
115 Ramsdell St
Fircrest, WA 98446
An e-mail copy of the proposal shall also be emailed to email@example.com
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 3:00 P.M. ON THE DATE ABOVE
At the City’s discretion, proposals submitted after the due date and time may be considered. Proposers accept all risks of late delivery of mailed proposals.
The City of Fircrest reserves the right to reject any or all proposals, waive technicalities or irregularities, and accept any proposal if such action is believed to be in the best interest of the City.